Friday, December 20, 2013

Inspiration for that Procrastination

Good afternoon everyone! It has been a looooooonnnnnnngggggggg time but I must say it feels good to be back. Now I know you are probably asking yourself, why havent yall heard from me in at least a year and a half and I will respond to that by saying I am sorry. When I started this blog I wanted to schedule myself to write something new and encouraging at least once a week. I severely fell off of that schedule and as a result I have not had a new post within a while. I really thought that no one was reading this and that I was not making a difference in what I was saying to really matter. Even though I would hear from ppl every once in a while that they came across my blog and thought there was some good stuff on it, I still didn't feel motivated/inspired enough to actually get back on the horse and start writing again.

Hopefully, this is the revival. I say this because I have recently been inspired by a friend of mine to get back to it. We were talking about procrastination the other day and several things hit me off of what was discussed. First, procrastination is a a delay of things that we put off to the next time or when it is more convenient. But the problem is we never come back to a more convenient time. We put it off indefinitely always stating that we will come back to it fully ready to attack the task at hand. This leads to the vicious cycle of procrastination. Breaking this cycle moves me into the my next point and the title of this blog: inspiration. It is when you become inspired my friend states that you want to move pass the "I can wait" to the "Lets do it now". Once your passion has been rekindled you will go with a new found life to attack the problem that you have been procrastinating over. The problem is acquiring this motivation/inspiration.

Which leads me to the next thing that I took from my discussion. She stated that in order to become inspired you should start small and build upon it. For example, if you want to write "the next great American novel" but have trouble starting it because you know the task would be arduous, she suggest that you write one sentence a day. Yeah I know I was looking like she was crazy too but she went on to explain herself and from doing that the logic hit me. When you write one sentence a day after a while it wont be a task any longer and you would start to look forward to actually writing that sentence. This small trick hit me because in addition after a while of doing these small things they will snow pile into something bigger and greater than its individual parts! So if it is that novel, sentences would soon become paragraphs, paragraphs would soon become chapters and eventually chapters become sections! Therefore, the small steps start you moving along the path to your passion.

Another quick tip, sometimes take a break (but not for too long)... Sometimes you need to rest your mind (or your body) so do that. Do something else during the time you set up to do your passion. Help your mind/body engage in something completely different, but just remember to come back to that passion. In addition, to giving your mind/body that break you will see that you will come back with a new perspective on the way you look at the original task ready to move away from the procrastination! As of right now that is all I have to say on the topic. I could possibly go on for more but remember small steps :-). I may continue this with a part 2 later but as for now lets leave it here.

I look forward to continually sharing my ideas and thoughts with yall in the coming year. Moreover, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Make 2014 your year to move in whatever path you have set for yourself. Finally, if you have been procrastinating make 2014 your year of INSPIRATION moving forward towards that goal. Love you all and GOD BLESS! PS: I will say again it feels good to be back!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The friend who suggested these tips sounds really wise ;) This post is inspiring! Procrastination stunts our growth so finding ways around it is so important and it's nice to see YOU taking the lead by tackling your own procrastination so that others reading may do the same. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete