Hey all I know I have shared a post with you all recently but I came across a few things and it sparked the this blog because I think it would be a travesty if I did not share this as soon as possible lol. Now today is MLK Jr. Day and it is the day in which we celebrate his life and struggle. He put his life on the line thereby granting us the freedom we have today to be able to walk outside without being harassed (now lets not get fully into this factor as we can talk about the stop and frisk and the various other policies designed to disenfranchise ppl). Yet we as a people have found ways in which to blatantly disrespect his legacy and life with flyers like the ones posted on these pages:
http://massappeal.com/the-worst-mlk-day-weekend-party-flyers/
Now when I first saw these flyers I wanted to respond in the in this manner:
Now when I first saw these flyers I wanted to respond in the in this manner:
And while I agree with the sentiments of Mr. McGruder and feel that this sketch, while funny, hits the head on the nail regarding several topics, I started to think for a minute on how Dr. King would really have felt in a situation like this. While thinking this it came to my attention that the groups that come up with these flyers are in the minority as seen in the fact that the Twerk for Freedom party was cancelled and a party was held to honor his legacy at the venue (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/freedom-to-twerk-party-michigan-martin-luther-king_n_4618928.html). After seeing this I came to better understand that Dr. King, after feeling the anger shown in the clip above, probably would have used these opportunities in order to unified people allowing them to have a better understanding of each other, even if they are within the same race.
That is what I feel Dr. King's legacy was, one of unification where he would reach out in order reconcile even with his vilest foes. He would want us to do the same. To reach out and educate those that some may feel have completely degraded our race. We cannot give up because we have a new generation coming in our place and if they are not taught our history then it will become just that ... HISTORY ... I for one will not allow that to happen and will do what I can in order to make sure that will not.
This actually leads me to my next and last point, our future. The children are our future as Ms. Houston so eloquently put and without our influence they can and will be lead down the wrong path. Now many are doing things about it but I have come across this one effort that really hit me. The movement is call "Because of Them ... We Can" and it is a photographer doing her part. You can check out the work on her Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/EuniqueJonesPhotography) but in essence she is stating that because of the many black leaders and innovators that we or our children can also be the next great leader and/or innovator. She is showing this through photos ... I think you should go check out the page and see for yourself why I am inspired by it :-)!
With that I bid all adieu ... Let us work together to fully realize the Dr.'s dream! Be blessed and enjoy the rest of your day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment