It has been a long time hasn't it... And I wanted to have a blog post every week bad... Well that is enough chastisement for now lets get to the post.
First and foremost I want to say that this is my OPINION and anyone who is offended I am sorry but I really need to speak what I see and maybe/hopefully something will change for the better. As many of you know I am the youth pastor for my church the Canarsie Church of Christ. My interactions with the kids has basically brought me to this point where I had to blog about the way in which the moral fiber of our society is deeply impacting our children resulting in a morally deprived generation. Now I know I am still young as well but there is a marked difference to the way I grew up to the way most modern teens are growing up and fundamentally this is where the problem lies. But it is not completely the children's fault but there are several factors that can be attributed to this decline.
First, many parents are just not as involved as they used to be (note I did not say all parents, since I know a good group of parents that are doing what they have to do when it comes to raising their children) . Granted it may be that they work long hours and when they get home the child is already sleeping but these situations are not what I am aiming at. My aim is at the parent that consciously makes an effort not to be a part of their child's life. Whether it be helping them with homework, going out for a family event, or even going to a PTA conference; these parents need to start to show an interest in the well-being of their children, letting their children know that they care about them. This in itself can change the direction that we are headed in as a generation
Second the sense of a child being raised by a community is completely gone or at least absence from the thought patterns of this generation. I remember growing up that if my parents were not around (whether they are working etc...) my next door neighbors (on both sides) kept a close eye on me to make sure I did not get in trouble. This sense of community is vastly gone leaving the child to their own devices which we all know is not the best thing. Yes children do need to learn things on their own but they should not have to learn EVERYTHING by themselves.
Finally, and this is connected to the first two factors, children today are being raised by the media and they are looking up to celebrities and the like as role models. Now if there were a bunch of positive role models out there in celebrity land, this would not be the worst thing but that is certainly not the case. The majority of celebrities are really bad role models for children growing up in this day and age (sorry celebrities but you know I am right). From the ridiculous music artists to celebrities within the sports and entertainment world the children of today have a SLIM and mean SLIMMMM picking of good positive role models out of this batch. But why should they even have to pick role models from so far away in concept when they should have upstanding role models in their houses daily. But because this is missing they reach out to rappers/movie stars/athletes as that moral base.
These are just a few yet main factors I see as being the cause of the moral deprivation of our children today, to go into all of them would have taken a while. I know we have all seen at least one child being bold (I say bold cuz i was would have got snuff if I ever did that)and back talking to their parents, cursing tons of bad words while in the back of a bus or just acting ignorant and disrespectful in general. These are all signs of the time and if we do not do something fast this will lead to a generation of children void of any moral which would not be a sight that anyone would want to see... Thanks for reading and remember the children are our future we got to do better!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment